Rockport Exchange Corporation
Rockport Farmers Market
Market Manager Job Description
Join a dynamic nonprofit comprised of hard working, dedicated volunteers and board members. The Market Manager, supervised by a member of the Rockport Exchange (REX) Board of Directors, will coordinate details of the successful operation of the Rockport Farmers Market. This is a part-time, year-round position at $22/hour. The 2024 Farmers Market season is expected to start on Saturday June 15 and run through Saturday October 12 with approximately 15-20 hours per week expected during the regular Market season. Preseason Market work is expected to begin as early as February 1, 2024 and postseason Market work is expected to run until the end of the calendar year with approximately 5-15 hours per week during the pre and post season Market. We also plan to hold one or two holiday pop-up markets (indoors) in November and/or December 2024 with additional required hours.
The Market Manager’s hours at the Market on Saturdays are from approximately 8:00 AM until 2:00 PM and includes setup, general operation of the Market, and breakdown. The Market hours – open to the public – are from 9 am to 1 pm.
The Rockport Farmers Market is a project of the Rockport Exchange, a 501(c)(3) organization. See rockportexchange.org for more details. Our mission is to strengthen community by focusing on access to local foods, community building, and growing the local economy.
- Manage approximately 18 Saturday Market days during the regular season and one or two Holiday Markets postseason
- Work with vendors, musicians volunteers and shoppers to ensure a fun and safe environment
- Work with REX bookkeeper to insure on time vendor payments
- Assist in the setup and breakdown tents, tables, parking signs, refuse, compost and recycling bins, and Market merchandise
- Oversee transactions for SNAP and other food access programs at the Market
- Recruit, train, and manage volunteers and maintain volunteer schedule
- Map out vendor locations
- Ensure that all vendors’ permits and certificates of insurance are current
- Grow the vendor list, food item selection, music and the use of SNAP and other food access programs at the Market
- Manage communications with vendors, musicians, nonprofits, and volunteers, using mail, email, telephone and Sign Up Genius
- Maintain lists of current and potential vendors, volunteers, musicians and non-profits
- Promote the Rockport Farmers Market in all forms of social media such as Facebook, Instagram, MailChimp, WordPress, Canva and Survey Monkey
- Work with the Board of Health, if needed (licensing, certifications, insurance), Select Board (if requested by the REX Board), Police Department (parking), adjacent property owner, as well as Cape Ann Chamber of Commerce, as needed
- Work with adjacent property owner (parking and electricity)
- Support REX board on grant applications and reports
- Attend the REX Board Meetings as requested (which occur on the first Wednesday of the month starting at 6:15 PM in Rockport Library)
- Attend Mass. Farmers Market zoom meetings as needed
- Submit timesheets bi-weekly
- Assume related other duties as requested and budgeted by the REX Board.
- The ability to develop good team relationships with Board, volunteers, vendors and shoppers
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Attention to detail
- Computer skills, including google sheets and google docs
- Ability to lift 30-40 lbs
- Social Media skills
- Non-profit experience helpful
The Market Manager will receive training in all aspects relating to the Market including: vendor requirements and schedule, set up and break down, and general Market operations.
Rockport Exchange is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this position please send your cover letter and resume to
firstname.lastname@example.org and put in the subject line: “Job Application”. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
January 7, 2024